Optima Tax Relief Reviews

Show reviews that mention
tax money optima taxes payment service account business payment plan lien
Filter review

Optima negotiated my taxes down by 9000 dollars

I cashed out 64000 in order to pay my house off. The following year my tax software said I owed 29,030 in Federal taxes! I contacted Optima Tax Relief to help get my taxes negotiated down to a reasonable level. It took 2 months exactly, but they were able to negotiate my taxes to a more reasonable 19875.00 so I'm a satisfied customer. The total service was 2700, which is a lot, but I don't have any house payments yo worry about ... t
Optima Tax Relief Tax Resolution
Pros
  • Convincing me into doing something for me and my taxes
Reason of review
Got my tax issue resolved

Poor experience with Optima Tax Relief

Optima does not do much that the average person cannot do for themselves with the IRS. They took over $5000 from me and did essentially nothing. They didn't even set up my payment plan. I did that myself. Anyone can. In the end I wasted $5495. Be very careful dealing with Optima Tax Relief. I would contact a tax attorney or an accountant before I contacted them. The only thing they have going for them is they know the tax laws and what an individual needs to do. However, they charge a whole lot for that service. I'm sure many (if not most) people can do everything on their own with cheaper advice from a trusted tax pro. I believe they are borderline unethical because they do not give you any other options, based on your financial status. Once they see who you are they should advise you elsewhere if needed, rather than take your $$$. In my case it was a total rip-off. Good money after bad. As I said, be very cautious about dealing with them, and check with a tax pro first. Don't make my mistake.
Optima Tax Relief Tax Resolution
Cons
  • Misrepresented services
Let the company propose a solution

Optima took our money and did not perform in a timely manner.

We started working with Optima Tax Relief in Santa Ana, Ca. in June 2016. we paid them $5,000.00 to settle our tax debt with the IRS, and get us a payment plan we could afford. At first it was going well, we got reports as to what they were doing. Then they wanted to redo our 2014 and 2015 taxes, which had already been accepted by the IRS. In the end it cost us more money owed to IRS. As time went on, it seemed as though it was taking a long time to get anything done, we were now a year and nine months into the program, and no solution. When we got a final letter from IRS saying we had 10 days to call them and settled the case, I called them myself, was on the phone for 45 minutes, and got a payment plan. It was a higher payment than we wanted, but I got it done. So I asked Optima for a refund, since I did the work. First they offered $500.00, which we refused, then $900.00, which we also refused. Then they finally offered us a refund of $1,500.00, which we accepted. So our issue has been resolved, case closed, and we are ok with it.
Optima Tax Relief Tax Resolution
Pros
  • Ads on tv and radio
We got a fair refund
Resolved
Optima Tax Relief's reply to:

Resolved: Took our $5,000.00 and did nothing in a year and 9 months, I

Hi, please allow us the opportunity to demonstrate how much our staff truly cares by helping to provide you with excellent service. We understand your concerns and we would like the opportunity to continue working with you. One of our dedicated Quality Assurance Specialists has already been made aware and has taken the time to review your case and will be reaching out to you shortly so that we can find further solutions to your concerns. We will not rest until we create a successful experience for you, as well as for all of our clients. If you prefer to speak to us at your convenience, please feel free to give us a call at (800) 965-3192. We really do value your feedback, since learning from you allows us to implement adjustments to help upgrade our client experience. We look forward to speaking with you, and hope to resolve any concerns you may have.
Optima Tax Relief Tax Resolution
Cons
  • Took our money and in almost 2 years
Update by user Apr 10, 2018

Optima reached out to us, and we came to a mutual resolution to our case. We are happy to say that it was a fair settlement.

Update by user Apr 06, 2018

Optima called us and at first offered a $500.00 refund, which we declined. A day later they offered $900.00, again we declined.

A few days later they called and this time offered us a refund of $1,500.00, which we accepted. We thought it was fair, and are very happy this case has been resolved.

Original review posted by user Mar 31, 2018

We signed on with optima june 2016. After almost two years they did nothing to come to a resolution and set up a payment plan.

Always having one excuse after another,why there was no solution. They surely do not live up to their ads. It is false advertisement. I finally had to call the IRS myself and set up my own payment plan.

It is a higher payment than I wanted, but at least it will keep them off our backs. We now owe more in taxes than when we stared. They redid some our our taxes, that had already been accepted by IRS, and now we owe $20,000 more, They redid our taxes all wrong, did not give us the deductions we were entitled to as a small business. We all need to start a class action suit against them.

They are crooks. They also refused to give us a refund, they did offer $900.

as a courtesy. We of course refused.

Got to speak to a person

I've been trying to get some answers but couldn't get a call back. The lady I spoke with looked everything up & answered my question.
Optima Tax Relief Customer Care
Good customer service

EXCELLENT SERVICE!!!!

I just completed a 5 year relationship with Optima Tax Relief, and settled my claim with IRS for pennies on the dollar. During the process, Optima kept me totally informed as to the steps and showed professionalism, while still remaining friendly and easy to work with. I would recommend Optima Tax Relief to anyone with IRS problems. They were Excellent!!!!! I have often heard Optima Tax Relief's advertisements on the radio and TV in the past, but now when we here them, it becomes a celebration of the the settlement with IRS that Optima Tax Relief made possible. Please, if you are having problems with the IRS, call Optima Tax as soon as possible. You'll sleep and rest better than you ever thought possible.
Good customer service
We used to Optima to assist us with STATE and Federal audit. Optima was slow to respond to our calls and inquiries. The misrepresented how they would handle state taxes and file them for us, which ended up with a tax lien against us. After many months of prying...

REASONS TO AVOID TAX RELIEF COMPANIES:

The "8 reasons" below are as cited by [REAL] tax professionals @ "WATAX" website; And, you can also see on their website the 91 "tax relief" companies SHUT DOWN because of their scam, unethical, illegal, and poor business practices! !

!

1.] These SCAM ("tax resolution") companies charge ridiculous, HIGH fees - - all to just file IRS forms, and they DON'T RESOLVE ANYTHING FOR YOU! If a "tax resolution" company is going to charge you $3,000+ for "representation", you need to have a KNOWLEDGABLE, RELIABLE & TRUSTWORTHY agent/firm who does an up-front analysis of your tax problem and ACTUALLY provide you a FAIR, FINAL & REALISTIC FEE, not keep charging you with ongoing, outrageous fees - which these "tax resolution" companies will do, ESPECIALLY WHEN YOU CAN FILE THE IRS FORMS ON YOUR OWN;

2.] "Tax resolution" companies have a tendency to keep charging you new fees once you've retained their (POOR, MISGUIDED) "service" - basically putting you in a corner with nowhere else to turn since you've already paid them A LOT OF MONEY;

3.] They give (REALLY!) BAD/UNQUALIFIED advice, and many "tax resolution" companies will advise you to do the wrong thing;

4.] They give DISHONEST advice and LIE - - The oldest trick in the tax resolution sales book is to tell someone that they'll qualify for an IRS "Offer in Compromise" ("OIC") to settle a tax debt when they clearly do not qualify & OICs are RARELY GRANTED by the IRS! These companies TV commercials lie & are MISLEADING, SHADY sales pitches; 5.] Their TV ads state misstating urgency and use scare tactics!

Tax resolution companies are sales people and telemarketers who harass those with tax liens, and they're notorious for lying and using false, intimidating scare tactics! Tax relief companies will often manipulate your emotions to make the sale. There's no reason to fake urgency, as an honest tax professional will present all options for you without emotion or scare tactics; 6.] Employee turnover - - Whether big or small, tax resolution companies are notorious for having high employee turnover. As many of the companies are reliant on "salespeople," employees who can't meet sales quotas are fired, so your case will keep getting handed off from representative-to-representative - all to further complicate your IRS situation and keep charging you more (COSTLY!); 7.] Dropping the ball - - Keeping your client out of aggressive collection actions like levies and garnishments requires constant vigilance and a very delicate personal touch.

Large companies are famous for cases falling into the cracks and subsequently, clients getting nailed with levies from the IRS; and 8.] Going out of business - - Running an effective tax resolution business requires a unique blend of great customer service with excellent marketing.

Take one of those two elements away and you're out of business! Again, see "WATAX" website that lists THE 91 TAX SCAM COMPANIES.

View more comments
Optima Tax Relief Tax Resolution
Pros
  • Misrepresented services
Cons
  • Solutions offered
  • Performance customer satisfaction
  • Response timing
Let the company propose a solution

Optima Tax Relief - don't do it!

GO TO AN ACCOUNTANT FIRST! Wasted $995 and unnecessary time and effort. Took our case to an accountant and he saw the problem with our tax return in 5 minutes. The IRS owes US money (not a lot), but at least we don't owe them the $21,000 they said we did. We made it through Optima's "review" stage, and then was told they need another $3,500 to continue to the "resolution" stage. Of course, no guarantee that we would still wouldn't have to pay the original IRS amount. Don't know how these people sleep at night. The stress we have gone through for the last 2 months was taken away in 5 minutes when we met with an account.

OPTIMA TAX RELIEF = Just another SCAM company to be SHUT DOWN ! !

REASONS TO AVOID TAX RELIEF COMPANIES:

(The below is "8 reasons" is as cited by [REAL] tax professionals @ "WAYTAX" website; And, you can also see on their website the 91 "tax relief" companies SHUT DOWN because of their scam, unethical, illegal, and poor business practices! ! !

1.] These SCAM companies charge ridiculous, HIGH fees. If a tax resolution company is going to charge you $3,000 or more for representation, you deserve the red carpet treatment. You should have direct access to your licensed tax professional and/or have the customer service rep who does your up-front analysis to be with you to the end. (If you're interested, we wrote more about what $4,000 of tax resolution should buy you.);

2.] Many tax resolution companies have a tendency to whack you with new fees once you're on board with them, figuring you're more or less locked in.

(We wrote more about this phenomenon too, about why reopening fees are problematic.);

3.] They give BAD advice. Plainly and simply, many tax resolution companies will advise you to do the wrong thing; 4.] They give DISHONEST advice (i.e. lying). The oldest trick in the tax resolution sales book is to tell someone that they'll qualify for an Offer in Compromise ("OIC") to settle their tax debt when they clearly do not qualify.

It's human nature: people just love to hear that they will settle their debts—just like in the commercials! Shady salespeople love to scratch this itch for profit; FYI: YOU can file YOUR OWN "OIC" (IRS Form # 656), but it's HIGHLY UNLIKELY you'll get such "compromise" as statistics show the IRS RARELY offer such. You can file your own "EXTENSION" (IRS Form # 1127 - "Application for Extension of Time for Payment of Tax Due to Undue Hardship"), which is all these SCAM "TAX RELIEF" companies do anyway, charging you fees in EXCESS of $1,000s & $1,000s - with many consumers reporting being SCAMMED / CHARGED upwards of the $4,000-$7,000 ranges). If you owe back taxes, there are several IRS tax relief programs to help, including the IRS "FRESH START INITIATIVE": An "Installment Agreement" is generally available to people who can't pay their tax debt in full at one time.

The program allows people to make smaller monthly payments until the entire debt is satisfied. Under its "FRESH START INITIATIVE", the IRS raised the threshold for streamlined installment agreements from $25,000 to $50,000 in tax debt, and the maximum repayment term from five to six years. Taxpayers who owe less than $50,000 may apply online with the IRS and don’t have to complete an IRS "Collection Information Statement" (Form # 433-A, Form # 433-B or Form # 433-F). An Offer in Compromise ("OIC") lets taxpayers permanently settle their tax debt for less than the amount they owe.

The OIC is an important tool to help people in limited circumstances; taxpayers are eligible only after other payment options have been exhausted. Under its "FRESH START INITIATIVE", the IRS expanded the "OIC" program to cover a larger group of struggling taxpayers. However, the IRS will not accept an offer if it believes the liability can be paid in full as a lump sum or through an installment agreement. The IRS offers guidance on choosing a tax professional for an OIC on its website.

5.] Misstating urgency and scare tactics. Tax resolution sales people and telemarketers harass those with tax liens, they're notorious for telling you that the sky is falling if you don't hire them immediately. "Your case has reached 'Elevated Status!" barks one company to its prospective clients, cold calling tax liens. Tax relief companies will often manipulate your emotions to make the sale.

There's no reason to fake urgency. An honest tax professional should lay out all of the options for you without emotion or scare tactics; 6.] Employee turnover. Whether big or small, tax resolution companies are notorious for having high employee turnover. As many of the companies are reliant on "salespeople," employees who can't sell enough cases are fired.

Hence, your case keeps getting handed off from representative to representative. In these environments, the institutional memory of your case can deteriorate fairly easily; 7.] Dropping the ball. Keeping your client out of aggressive collection actions like levies and garnishments requires constant vigilance and a very delicate personal touch. Large companies are famous for cases falling into the cracks and subsequently, clients getting nailed with levies from the IRS.

Going out of business. Running an effective tax resolution business requires a unique blend of great customer service with excellent marketing; and 8.] Going out of business. Running an effective tax resolution business requires a unique blend of great customer service with excellent marketing. Take one of those two elements away and you're out of business!

Again, see "WAYTAX" website that lists THE 91 TAX SCAM COMPANIES ALREADY SHUT DOWN! AS STATED BY THE FTC - - Problems with Tax Relief Companies: 1.] Promise that you will get relief from tax liabilities; 2.] Misrepresent how long it will take to process a debt relief request application; and/or 3.] Omit relevant asset information on financial statements submitted to the IRS. ALSO STATED BY THE FTC: "Tax relief companies use the radio, television and the internet to advertise help for taxpayers in distress. If you pay them an upfront fee, which can be thousands of dollars, these companies claim they can reduce or even eliminate your tax debts and stop back-tax collection by applying for legitimate IRS hardship programs.

The truth is that most taxpayers don't qualify for the programs these fraudsters hawk, their companies don't settle the tax debt, and in many cases don't even send the necessary paperwork to the IRS requesting participation in the programs that were mentioned. Adding insult to injury, some of these companies don't provide refunds, and leave people even further in debt. Some taxpayers who filed complaints with the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) reported that, after signing up with some of these companies and paying thousands of dollars in upfront fees, the companies took even more of their money by making unauthorized charges to their credit cards or withdrawals from their bank accounts. If you owe back taxes and don't know how you're going to pay the debt, the FTC, the nation's consumer protection agency, says don't panic, take a deep breath, and consider your options.

If you are having trouble paying bills, it's often better to try to work out a payment plan with the creditor yourself than to pay someone else to negotiate a plan for you. The same is true when you owe money to the IRS or your state comptroller."

Optima Tax Relief Tax Resolution
Pros
  • Customer service agent that took my original phone call

Optima Scam

Optima is a scam. They do nothing that you cannot do for yourself. If you qualify, go and get the forms and fill them out. If you need help filling out the forms, walk in to a local accounting office and ask for it. You will spend thousands less and get the same result. I lost 6,500 to these guys and it was my fault. They tell you one thing on the phone and then have you sign a document that claims there is no guarantee. Total Scam! Do not believe what you see in their reviews. There are many reviews online posted by the company itself

OPTIMA TAX RELIEF = Just another SCAM company to be SHUT DOWN ! !

U R lucky they only got you for 6500, they got me for almost 10k to file 2yrs

returns & get me on a monthly repayment plan no discount, after made last

payment to optima said they were done with my case no offer to irs for reduction

View more comments (1)
Loss
I wasted $995 on Optima Tax Relief to basically get an amount owed to the IRS. I already told them what I owed because it took me 30 min over the phone to ask that. Don't believe the 15 day money back guarantee because they tell you it takes 2-4 weeks for an...

Do not use this company. Optima Tax Relirf, LLC is a scam and the BBB is not adequate reference. Tatal scam artist.

View more comments
Optima Tax Relief Tax Resolution
Pros
  • Convincing me into doing something for me and my taxes
  • Misrepresented services
Cons
  • Make up stuff to scare you even more
  • Not honest
  • Services

Optima Tax Relief - Tax Resolution Review from Lake Forest, California

I paid them $3K in July 2015 and to date, they have not not saved me a dime and I still owe the IRS the same as when I started, plus interest. All I get from Optima is lip service. They are not telling the truth when they say they have tax attorneys fighting for you. I have not even been assigned a tax attorney. I have not seen a single correspondence of communication between Optima and the IRS. They don't keep me informed about conversations that take place. They don't look at the file, analyze all the information given to them, and make informed, intelligent decisions when dealing with the IRS. I have dealt with 4 different "tax advisors" since I started and every one of them failed to do what they promised.
#1931429

I got the same results from OTR and I paid them $4800 before they informed me that I didn't qualify for a reduction in taxes.

Lake Forest, California

NOT A HAPPY CUSTOMER

BASED ON THE INITIAL CONSULTATION I WAS LEFT TO BELIEVE THEY WOULD RESOLVE MY ISSUE BUT I WAS TRANSFERED FROM DEPT TO DEPT WHO OFFERED THINGS I COULD OF DID MY SELF GET A PAYMENT PLAN AND THEN DO AN OFFER AN COMPRIMISE REALLY I DID ALL THAT IN ONE DAY ON MY OWN FREE OF COST I GOT NOTHING OUT OF THIS BUT *** IN MY BANK ACCOUNT AND NOW TO FIND OUT ITS NO MONEY BACK REALLY WHAT SERVICES DID THEY RENDER FOR THE PAYMENT ABOSULTLY NONE. I WOULD RECOMEND THAT IF YOU HAVE TAX ISSUES HIRE A CPA NOT A TAX RELIEF COMPANTY IT SEEMS THEY RELIEVE THEMSELFS OF BILLS BUY SCAMING US FOR OUR MONEY .

Would like to file class lawsuit. They stole $4000 from me.

NOTHING HAS BEEN DONE! THEY ARE willing to refund $1000.

Not acceptable. Will be calling attorney general office

@PissedConsumer1545061

Would like to file a class action lawsuit as well

Optima “Tax Relief, “. MY *** They lie, make promises they have no intention of keeping.

Took us for $10,000+! They offered us $1400 back! *** ME! Can’t WAIT for the class action lawsuit against these scam artists!

Don’t buy into their advertising.

{{REDACTED}} Strung us along for 10 months, kept getting letters from the IRS which they told us to ignore, “it’s just part of the process.” Now have lien on house. Taken care of by another tax firm for less than half of what Optima took us for.

TOTAL SCAM ! !

DON'T GET ROBBED $4,000+ ! !These "companies" LIE, many of its "salespeople" are UNQUALIFIED/NOT EDUCATED in LAW or ACCOUNTING, and these crooks will require at least a $4,000-7,000+ deposit from YOU just to file IRS forms YOU can file! And, HIGHLY likely that they're going to keep charging you fees because now YOU owe them because YOU signed their 'agreement of terms/services' Plus, these crooked "tax debt relief" companies, simply EXTEND/DELAY your IRS debt! So, that means you pay interest - A LOT of yearly accruing interest + penalties!Then, these crooked "tax debt relief companies" will start charging you more fees - for B.S.

documents that one can simply fill out by themselves w/o these crooks taking advantage of people already stressed!This scam "tax relief companies" merely file the EXACT same IRS Forms - that's it! They don't contact the IRS for you! They don't use tax law/strategy nor conduct legal hearings for you! YOU can do ALL this without wasting more money!Steps YOU can do yourself to attempt resolution on your (IRS) Federal Tax Lien:# 1: Complete/Send IRS Form # 12277;# 2 - Wait for response from IRS;# 3 - Dispute the lien with all three Credit Reporting Agencies;# 4 - Await correspondence."Under Internal Revenue Code Section 6502, the IRS has 10 years to collect that tax deficiency.

Before the end of the 10-year period set forth in the statute the IRS can take the taxpayer to federal court and obtain a judgment" (IRS.GOV). Again, several factors and legalities weigh into one's OIC being granted, so please research and consult further.To "file" your "Offer In Compromise"[OIC], complete/submit IRS Form # 433 for individuals or IRS Form # 433-B for businesses.GOOD LUCK.

I agree

Yes! Optima is a complete SCAM!

I paid them $5,500 and they did NOTHING to settle with the IRS!

My bank account was seized, AFTER I hired Optima, then, they wouldn't talk to me because my scheduled payment didn't go through to them. They only called me back after I called and wanted to take them up on the "money back guarantee" that they brag about.

And they did NOT settle for ONE penny less than what I owed the IRS!

Guess I should have given the IRS that $5,500

Don't call Optima, find a local attorney!

They did us the same way.

@PissedConsumer1149116

Complain to the Attorney General of California

Complain to The Federal Trade Commission

and the Better Business Bureau

View more comments (7)
Garden City, New York
Optima Tax Relief Tax Resolution
Cons
  • Misrepresented services

Optima Tax Relief Rip Off

I entered into a contract with Optima tax Relief LLC in July 2013. I paid them $995.00 on 7/22/2013 $1000.00 on 8/21/2013 $1500.00 on 9/12/2013 and starting on 10/17/2013 to today, 3/12/2014 they have deducted $499.99 a month, $2495.00 for a total of $5,590.00 as of today They stopped the IRS lien on my paycheck and did my tax paperwork then when it was time to negotiate some type of settlement with the IRS, I could either pay the IRS $500.00 a month or come up with $15,0000.00 cash! That was the crux of negotiations with IRS. So, Optima is still deducting $499.00 from my checking account and I'm paying $500.00 to the IRS in addition. I am retired and on a fixed income. I don't known when they plan to stop gouging me. I think I have paid OTR enough and probably could have paid H & R Block to do my taxes and still have money left to live on! What a disgrace and I acted in good faith to pay them, but I feel like they didn't do me any justice at all. What a rip off.