map-marker Queens, New York

Optima took my money and no results yet.

I have paid optima over $15,000 to resolve my tax debt which started at $170,000 two years ago and is now over$200,000. Optima has done nothing to resolve my debt other than to tell me that they can do a payment plan with the irs. I told them i do not need them to negotiate a payment plan which is something i can do, i need them to negotiate a reduction in the amount due . So far they have done nothing to alleviate my debt . They just keep referring my account to a different agent who then ask me for documents previously submitted and its a recurring cycle with no results. They have yet to indicate what if anything they have done for me other than filing extensions on my tax returns which i did not ask them to do. I feel that i have been subjected to a scam and am contemplating taking legal action.

User's recommendation: stay away from optima

Mitzy Cvj

This is exactly what they did to me. I paid $12000 for them to get started on my case and now 2 1/2 years later my bill with the IRS has increased to over $132,812.00.

No contact with the IRS was ever made other than to say they were my representative agent. I am suing and going to Consumer Affairs.

John S Bpr

Verified Reviewer

Optima Tax Ripped Me Off!

Original review Jun 05, 2021
Hired Optima tax in July 2020 but had been corresponding with them as far back as May 2020. Paid them $7500 over 10 months and they've produced nothing other than file my 2019 Taxes! They have done NOTHING to negotiate my debt with the IRS nor stop the IRS from continuing to come after me despite OTR telling me differently! OTR also violated their own 'Client Bill of Rights"! I demanded my full refund after being lied to for over a year! Optima Tax Relief was the single biggest mistake I ever made and I'm 57 years old! It's been over a year, I have been switched to countless *** not one of which gave me ANY full summary or negotiated options they claim they had gotten with the IRS. Moreover, I was STILL receiving certified letters from the IRS demanding payment and now threatening me with a "levy" even though these lying sacks of *** have been telling me that all collection activity had stopped with the IRS months ago because they were "working with them"! Lie after lie after lie! When I demanded they put their options in writing, they refused! $7500 of money they stole from me and they offered $900 to settle! I will be filing a law suit against the company and every OTR employee!
Loss:
Cons:
  • Took 7500 bucks and negotiated nothing with the irs
  • Response timing
  • Played games

Preferred solution: Full refund

User's recommendation: DO NOT EVER USE THIS COMPANY!!!!

Michelle M Ehn

Fraudulent practice

I am paying Optima tax Relief $3,770.00 to resolve my tax issue, but they have not submitted any paperwork on my behalf to the IRS. I am receiving letters from the IRS along with a payment plan I did not agree to.
Loss:
Pros:
  • Appeared to be legit

Pamela W Dld

I was scammed by Optima Tax Relief

I paid OTR $2495.00 for nothing. I had to contact them to find out what was the status of my tax situation. When they finally contacted me they gave me two options, (1) to pay the IRS $190.00 dollars a month or (2) do non collective. This I already knew, I could have worked with the IRS myself. I contacted the Better Business Bureau and Alliance Consumer Business and they either would or could not help me. All I know I've been ripped off. Ms. Pam 706-955-****
Loss:
Pros:
  • Ads on tv and radio
Cons:
  • Make up stuff to scare you even more
  • Communication issues
  • Misrepresented services

User's recommendation: Do not deal with Optima Tax Relief..RUN

Kanani W

Verified Reviewer

Optima misrepresented themselves to me.

Optima Tax Relief - Optima misrepresented themselves to me.
Original review Oct 27, 2020
This organization is a scam fueled by a reptilian mindset! They are completely and utterly inept at managing detailed tax returns. Their ultimate goal is to leave you hanging until every dime is squeezed out of your bank account. Optima can only handle those types of returns that utilize BASIC formats. You remember, the same forms you alone could easily complete to account for part time employment during your high school and/or college years! I am so happy I caught on to their thievery!!! Throughout the World Wide Web, law abiding citizens have written negative reviews about this questionable organization. If and when OTR responds, you will get a formula reply promising to help you. Meaning, they use almost the same wording for everybody; paraphrasing themselves repeatedly. Please dont let them fool you! They do practically nothing to resolve your legitimate issues in the manner you desire. Specifically, in the manner YOU DESERVE! Optima loves boasting about their Better Business Bureau rating. The BBB states the grading system DOES NOT factor in consumer reviews, complaints or lawsuits no matter how many are lodged against them. At one point OTR garnered over 500 BBB complaints during a three year period; 78% concerning problems with a product and/or service. Less than half closed. Theres no disclosure, however, as to whether or not both parties resolved the complaint at all or settled it in a fair and satisfying manner. As many Optima victims have discovered, the IRS can legitimately assist you. They have the final word and will warn you to AVOID this useless, nefarious institution. Imagine how the Department of the Treasury scrutinizes returns prepared and submitted by Optima!!!
Loss:
Pros:
  • Misrepresented services
Cons:
  • Response timing
  • Make up stuff to scare you even more
  • Rogues

Preferred solution: Full refund

User's recommendation: Stay away from Optima.

Janet B Gro
map-marker Shawnee, Kansas

Lien off my house so I can refinance my house.

I have constantly been calling, no one will return my calls. Ive been told someone will call me back. Ive emailed, and text but still havent heard from anyone. I want to refinance my house and I need to get the lien removed. I need to know what the status of my lien. I have been sending $50 a month to you. I would expect better customer service.

Susan C Fbb

Verified Reviewer

They need to be but out of business CROOKS

They draw you in when trying to get $ from you to pay for their services and are not upfront about total cost. It is a waste of money and I regret paying them because they did nothing for me. I had to call and call and send emails and their response time is horrible. They want to keep switching you from this case member to another. I was unemployment and thought they could get some of my taxes owed eliminated. Call the IRS yourself and work out something with them. I thought I was the ideal candidate being a widow, made payments to the IRS for 8 years and unemployed. Their solution accept the tax lien on my home or pay them $266 per month. That means even though I paid the IRS $ I could never get out of debt with them because of penalties the IRS keeps adding.
Loss:
Pros:
  • Misrepresented services

Preferred solution: Full refund

User's recommendation: Call the IRS yourself I paid 2000 to Optima and they did nothing for me

Alicia C Jzq

Unable to obtain investigation details

DI paid $500 for investigation of unpaid taxes. I was unable to afford the $15K Optima required to file my back taxes. Ive requested on four occasions for a copy of my file or a summary of the findings...and I cant get a call back. I need this information to proceed before a lien or other actions are taken.

User's recommendation: Hire a CPA

Timothy T Tbk

Resolved: Dishonest Business Practices

Updated by user Mar 09, 2021

Company fixed the issue and I have been provided with settlement agreement.

Original review Dec 08, 2020
I contacted Optima for tax help and I feel I was lied to and cheated . After paying them the $ 1,200.00 to take my case they said they had to review it . After the review they charged me $ 4,550.00 more and didn't save me one cent . They cover themselves by using vague answers and make sure you understand you can't hold them accountable . They offered me a refund of $ 1,250.00 if I promised to keep my mouth shut and not give them a bad review . I didn't take the refund . So basically cost me $ 5,550.00 more to get Optima involved and still had my tax liability . Fair warning they are professional liars and thieves .
Loss:
Pros:
  • Misrepresented services
Cons:
  • Dishonesty

Preferred solution: Let the company propose a solution

Update on Optima review

They reached out to me and offered a $ 1600 rebate, but I would have to take down my negative reviews. I declined. Their offer was not an adequate amount to satisfy Optimas lack of proper representation, communication, not adhering to company advertisements, offering no appealing tax solutions, and therefore their lack of providing us with any type of tax freedom. Their lack of honesty about asking the IRS for an OIC is simply appalling. The last person I spoke to also confirmed that this was not done. Their co-founder publishes that Optima has a philosophy to deliver excellence for every client, every time, no exceptions. We bought their misleading information and were and are sorely disappointed with this company. Thus , I would rather sound out on this fraudulent company every chance I get in hopes of saving others time and money thinking this company will help. Wont happen!!
Loss:
Pros:
  • Misrepresented services
Cons:
  • Misrepresentation
  • Length of time
  • Communication issues

User's recommendation: Do not use Optima Tax Relief

map-marker Schererville, Indiana

Horrible company

I contracted with Optima tax relief and made the initial down payment and two monthly payments and then COVID hit. I explained to them I was very limited in working and I could afford lower payments. They were kind enough to give some months without payments until my situation improved. I had paid over 2500 into this company already, for what? I asked several times what they did for $2500 besides maybe sending the IRS a letter starting to work out my situation. The customer RETENTION Dept called me which is a joke...because there is no retention at all telling me in Oct they were going to cancel my account and the IRS would move forward in collecting back taxes. The gentleman Branden Silva I spoke with a few times and told him I could make some lower payments, but he stressed several times they could not lower my payments until I paid another $1000.00 and then could look at lowering my payments. I explained I could not make a $1000 dollar payment at this time and is there any other alternatives....no of course there was not..$1000 or they would cancel,,,, which they did. Now I am out $3000, the IRS has sent me letters saying I would be turned over to a collection company, and I am no further along then I started with Optima but $3k down. My recommendation is you go with another company and do not waste your time with Optima...they are all about getting as much money from you as possible and when you cannot they drop you right in the middle of your resolution.

User's recommendation: STAY AWAY

Thomas H Iae

Resolved: Optima Tax Relief is a scam and a Rip-off

Updated by user Apr 03, 2020

Optima Tax Service gave refund

Original review Apr 02, 2020
I had reached an agreement for payment of back taxes with the IRS, although the IRS could not be specific about what I owed for so the agreement was never implimented. I asked for and received an extension to hire an outside agency that would audit my account and amend my filed tax returns if needed. In October2019, I hired Optima with a specific set of instructions. I was assured by David Choe, Sylvia Rosas, Catalina Hernandez that these issues would be addressed. By January I was receiving letters from the IRS that stated that I had defaulted on an agreement and was fined an even greater amount. I called Optioma and was assured by Catallina Hernandez that they had not entered me into an agreement without my consent and never would. I began receiving more mail from IRS stating that I would be sued over delinquent account, I again called Optima and spoke with Joanna Rauda who told me three times that I was not entered into an agreement without my consent. On the 28th of January I was sent an Email from her stating they had entered into an agreement without my consent. I was lied to several times by two different representatives and told I didn't know what I was talking about, very rudely I might add. I kept trying to contact Optima, many emails sent no answer. Many calls no call backs.So not only did the Optima representatives lie to me, which is recorded. But they entered into an agreement without my consent and with holding that information from me ( I had to call the IRS and find out myself). But instead of getting me out of debt with the IRS they got me into MORE trouble and debt with the IRS. I have attempted many times via voice and E-mail to resolve this situation. No results. I tried to explain to them my daughter had just passed on Feb. 9,2020 and I had to borrow money for her funeral expenses, but they didn't care they still took payment out of my account for a job they knew they already screwed up and set me up for failure. This company cheats and lies.

Preferred solution: Full refund

User's recommendation: This company should do the right thing, and give me back the money they took over and above the initial investigative fee. The appropriate thing to do would for this company to take responsibility and also compensate me for the increased debt incurred to me by the IRS, due to Optima representative getting me into an agreement without my knowledge or consent, and the fines for not meeting the obligations of an agreement I didn't know I was in due to optima representatives lying and hiding the fact.

Hilde v

Verified Reviewer

Resolved: Turn the other way!

Updated by user Mar 02, 2020

A very sympathetic and kind gentleman, Ricky Gonzalez, has reached out to me. In a week he's addressed my concerns, answered all my questions and has been EXTREMELY helpful resolving my case. I simply cant recommend Ricky highly enough, he has truly been fantastic to deal with!

Original review Feb 20, 2020
If I could give them zero stars, I would!! I am disgusted by the service provided and paid $8485 for absolutely NOTHING! I would have been better off going to the IRS myself, accompanied by my tax consultant. An IRS agent reached out twice, provided her contact details more than a year ago. As of last week, no one from Optima has reached out to her. In June 2019, I was asked by a lady named Ruby, asked to reduce deductions. I again provided the necessary substantiation and explained that I am not willing to lie on any tax return. NEVER heard back from her! To date our 2018 tax return has not been filed, or completed by Optima. I have called, sent messages. NO UPDATE! We were misled and taken advantage of by Optima’s false assurances. They’re only interested in your money. More than a year after paying Optima, None of my concerns or issues have been addressed or resolved. WORST customer service EVER! They’ve not delivered on any of their promises or published statements! I reported Optima to the BBB and have to agree with prior reviewers, they are a scam! Run the other way and ask the BBB for references to legitimate tax consultants!
Loss:
Pros:
  • Convincing me into doing something for me and my taxes
  • Ads on tv and radio
  • Misrepresented services
Cons:
  • Misrepresented services
  • Response timing
  • Solutions offered

| map-marker Houston, Texas

Optima Tax did not tell me I could not qualify for any program until my last payment

Updated by user Feb 18, 2020

I believe it might be time to release the email correspondence with Optima which will further shed light on my situation.

Updated by user Feb 18, 2020

It is a travesty what I went through with Optima Tax. No consumer should have to put up with this.

Optima owes me the $60000 additional to what I should have to pay the IRS plus the $14,000 rip-off they charged me for their services. And after they received the money from me, Optima refused to work with me any more.They took their money and ran.Optima should really be ashamed of itself.

Original review Aug 22, 2019
I had to pay $14,000 for Optima Tax to represent me. Found out after it was too late that I could have handled it myself and paid less taxes. They always led me to believe I would qualify for a program and get a tax deduction at the end. During the process, every time I asked for tangible account of my current situation I got the run-around. They have it set up like a car wash where you go through different phases. It is as-if one hand does not know what the other is doing and you do not find anything out until they have received the very last payment. Then you find out you were better off doing it yourself. I have so much more information and proof but I will wave displaying it on this site and be posting it elsewhere where it is not being filtered by Optima, who is a paid subscriber to this site. At times, Customer Service was downright nasty. The only reason I give even one star below is because I want to make sure it registers. I am really pissed. They have a really good marketing SEO team who has made sure that nobody can post bad review sites.
Charles N Dxw

Optima never contacted me to discuss any of this. Once I paid them the $15,000 they simply dropped me like a hot potato and would no longer communicate with me.

They told me my file had been archived and it was out of their hands. It was as-if you purchased a BMW and the first time you showed up a month later with a question about the engine, they said "you bought the car and now live with it." Optima cost me thousands of extra dollars in tax payments to the IRS due to their own negligence.

And they did not have the decency to follow-up. How shameful.

reply icon Replying to comment of Charles N Dxw

Their customers are soooo misleading. Luckily, I have already turned others away from using their services and they cost me so much money, I will continue to turn friends and acquaintances away from using their services. I have never encountered such an inept company who really does NOT care about the tax payer.

reply icon Replying to comment of Charles N Dxw

Their commercials not customers

View more comments (2)
Stanley M Ifu

Great place to get burned

I spent around $9000 with these clowns. Over a period of three years; I sent them endless paperwork to eastablish an IRS tax settlement. Recently they stopped working for me. A local attorney wanted to have a copy of my file; so he could see what they they we trying to do for said resolution. Optima management refused to give me my OWN file. The only thing they were willing to return was my bank records. They did offer to reinstate me at half price. The only thing I have to show for it is a $107,000 tax Lien. STAY AWAY FROM THESE CRIMINALS. All they want is your money.
Loss:
Pros:
  • Customer service agent that took my original phone call
Cons:
  • Misrepresented services
  • Length of time
Reason of review: