Alicia C Jzq

Unable to obtain investigation details

DI paid $500 for investigation of unpaid taxes. I was unable to afford the $15K Optima required to file my back taxes.

Ive requested on four occasions for a copy of my file or a summary of the findings...and I cant get a call back. I need this information to proceed before a lien or other actions are taken.

Loss:

Preferred solution: Deliver product or service ordered

User's recommendation: Hire a CPA

Timothy T Tbk

Resolved: Dishonest Business Practices

Updated by user Mar 09, 2021

Company fixed the issue and I have been provided with settlement agreement.

Original review Dec 08, 2020

I contacted Optima for tax help and I feel I was lied to and cheated . After paying them the $ 1,200.00 to take my case they said they had to review it .

After the review they charged me $ 4,550.00 more and didn't save me one cent . They cover themselves by using vague answers and make sure you understand you can't hold them accountable . They offered me a refund of $ 1,250.00 if I promised to keep my mouth shut and not give them a bad review . I didn't take the refund .

So basically cost me $ 5,550.00 more to get Optima involved and still had my tax liability . Fair warning they are professional liars and thieves .

Loss:
Pros:
  • Misrepresented services
Cons:
  • Dishonesty

Update on Optima review

They reached out to me and offered a $ 1600 rebate, but I would have to take down my negative reviews. I declined.

Their offer was not an adequate amount to satisfy Optimas lack of proper representation, communication, not adhering to company advertisements, offering no appealing tax solutions, and therefore their lack of providing us with any type of tax freedom. Their lack of honesty about asking the IRS for an OIC is simply appalling. The last person I spoke to also confirmed that this was not done. Their co-founder publishes that Optima has a philosophy to deliver excellence for every client, every time, no exceptions.

We bought their misleading information and were and are sorely disappointed with this company.

Thus , I would rather sound out on this fraudulent company every chance I get in hopes of saving others time and money thinking this company will help. Wont happen!!

Loss:
Pros:
  • Misrepresented services
Cons:
  • Ads
  • Dishonesty
  • Communication issues

User's recommendation: Do not use Optima Tax Relief

map-marker Schererville, Indiana

Horrible company

I contracted with Optima tax relief and made the initial down payment and two monthly payments and then COVID hit. I explained to them I was very limited in working and I could afford lower payments.

They were kind enough to give some months without payments until my situation improved. I had paid over 2500 into this company already, for what? I asked several times what they did for $2500 besides maybe sending the IRS a letter starting to work out my situation. The customer RETENTION Dept called me which is a joke...because there is no retention at all telling me in Oct they were going to cancel my account and the IRS would move forward in collecting back taxes.

The gentleman Branden Silva I spoke with a few times and told him I could make some lower payments, but he stressed several times they could not lower my payments until I paid another $1000.00 and then could look at lowering my payments. I explained I could not make a $1000 dollar payment at this time and is there any other alternatives....no of course there was not..$1000 or they would cancel,,,, which they did.

Now I am out $3000, the IRS has sent me letters saying I would be turned over to a collection company, and I am no further along then I started with Optima but $3k down. My recommendation is you go with another company and do not waste your time with Optima...they are all about getting as much money from you as possible and when you cannot they drop you right in the middle of your resolution.

User's recommendation: STAY AWAY

Thomas H Iae

Resolved: Optima Tax Relief is a scam and a Rip-off

Updated by user Apr 03, 2020

Optima Tax Service gave refund

Original review Apr 02, 2020

I had reached an agreement for payment of back taxes with the IRS, although the IRS could not be specific about what I owed for so the agreement was never implimented. I asked for and received an extension to hire an outside agency that would audit my account and amend my filed tax returns if needed.

In October2019, I hired Optima with a specific set of instructions. I was assured by David Choe, Sylvia Rosas, Catalina Hernandez that these issues would be addressed. By January I was receiving letters from the IRS that stated that I had defaulted on an agreement and was fined an even greater amount. I called Optioma and was assured by Catallina Hernandez that they had not entered me into an agreement without my consent and never would.

I began receiving more mail from IRS stating that I would be sued over delinquent account, I again called Optima and spoke with Joanna Rauda who told me three times that I was not entered into an agreement without my consent. On the 28th of January I was sent an Email from her stating they had entered into an agreement without my consent. I was lied to several times by two different representatives and told I didn't know what I was talking about, very rudely I might add. I kept trying to contact Optima, many emails sent no answer.

Many calls no call backs.So not only did the Optima representatives lie to me, which is recorded. But they entered into an agreement without my consent and with holding that information from me ( I had to call the IRS and find out myself). But instead of getting me out of debt with the IRS they got me into MORE trouble and debt with the IRS. I have attempted many times via voice and E-mail to resolve this situation.

No results. I tried to explain to them my daughter had just passed on Feb.

9,2020 and I had to borrow money for her funeral expenses, but they didn't care they still took payment out of my account for a job they knew they already screwed up and set me up for failure. This company cheats and lies.

Preferred solution: Full refund

User's recommendation: This company should do the right thing, and give me back the money they took over and above the initial investigative fee. The appropriate thing to do would for this company to take responsibility and also compensate me for the increased debt incurred to me by the IRS, due to Optima representative getting me into an agreement without my knowledge or consent, and the fines for not meeting the obligations of an agreement I didn't know I was in due to optima representatives lying and hiding the fact.

Hilde v

Verified Reviewer

Resolved: Turn the other way!

Updated by user Mar 02, 2020

A very sympathetic and kind gentleman, Ricky Gonzalez, has reached out to me. In a week he's addressed my concerns, answered all my questions and has been EXTREMELY helpful resolving my case. I simply cant recommend Ricky highly enough, he has truly been fantastic to deal with!

Original review Feb 20, 2020

If I could give them zero stars, I would!!

I am disgusted by the service provided and paid $8485 for absolutely NOTHING!

I would have been better off going to the IRS myself, accompanied by my tax consultant. An IRS agent reached out twice, provided her contact details more than a year ago. As of last week, no one from Optima has reached out to her.

In June 2019, I was asked by a lady named Ruby, asked to reduce deductions. I again provided the necessary substantiation and explained that I am not willing to lie on any tax return.

NEVER heard back from her!

To date our 2018 tax return has not been filed, or completed by Optima. I have called, sent messages. NO UPDATE!

We were misled and taken advantage of by Optima’s false assurances. They’re only interested in your money.

More than a year after paying Optima, None of my concerns or issues have been addressed or resolved. WORST customer service EVER! They’ve not delivered on any of their promises or published statements!

I reported Optima to the BBB and have to agree with prior reviewers, they are a scam!

Run the other way and ask the BBB for references to legitimate tax consultants!

Loss:
Pros:
  • Ads on tv and radio
  • Convincing me into doing something for me and my taxes
  • Misrepresented services
Cons:
  • Solutions offered
  • Misrepresented services
  • Length of time

| map-marker Houston, Texas

Optima Tax did not tell me I could not qualify for any program until my last payment

Updated by user Feb 18, 2020

I believe it might be time to release the email correspondence with Optima which will further shed light on my situation.

Updated by user Feb 18, 2020

It is a travesty what I went through with Optima Tax. No consumer should have to put up with this.

Optima owes me the $60000 additional to what I should have to pay the IRS plus the $14,000 rip-off they charged me for their services. And after they received the money from me, Optima refused to work with me any more.They took their money and ran.Optima should really be ashamed of itself.

Original review Aug 22, 2019

I had to pay $14,000 for Optima Tax to represent me. Found out after it was too late that I could have handled it myself and paid less taxes.

They always led me to believe I would qualify for a program and get a tax deduction at the end. During the process, every time I asked for tangible account of my current situation I got the run-around. They have it set up like a car wash where you go through different phases. It is as-if one hand does not know what the other is doing and you do not find anything out until they have received the very last payment.

Then you find out you were better off doing it yourself. I have so much more information and proof but I will wave displaying it on this site and be posting it elsewhere where it is not being filtered by Optima, who is a paid subscriber to this site. At times, Customer Service was downright nasty. The only reason I give even one star below is because I want to make sure it registers.

I am really pissed. They have a really good marketing SEO team who has made sure that nobody can post bad review sites.

Charles N Dxw

Optima never contacted me to discuss any of this. Once I paid them the $15,000 they simply dropped me like a hot potato and would no longer communicate with me.

They told me my file had been archived and it was out of their hands. It was as-if you purchased a BMW and the first time you showed up a month later with a question about the engine, they said "you bought the car and now live with it." Optima cost me thousands of extra dollars in tax payments to the IRS due to their own negligence.

And they did not have the decency to follow-up. How shameful.

reply icon Replying to comment of Charles N Dxw

Their customers are soooo misleading. Luckily, I have already turned others away from using their services and they cost me so much money, I will continue to turn friends and acquaintances away from using their services. I have never encountered such an inept company who really does NOT care about the tax payer.

reply icon Replying to comment of Charles N Dxw

Their commercials not customers

View more comments (2)
Stanley M Ifu

Great place to get burned

I spent around $9000 with these clowns. Over a period of three years; I sent them endless paperwork to eastablish an IRS tax settlement.

Recently they stopped working for me. A local attorney wanted to have a copy of my file; so he could see what they they we trying to do for said resolution. Optima management refused to give me my OWN file. The only thing they were willing to return was my bank records.

They did offer to reinstate me at half price. The only thing I have to show for it is a $107,000 tax Lien.

STAY AWAY FROM THESE CRIMINALS. All they want is your money.

Loss:
Pros:
  • Customer service agent that took my original phone call
Cons:
  • Length of time
  • Misrepresented services
Poor customer service

Luther Niv

Bad Business

Took my money and still have the same problem haven't solved anything and its been 2 years. I'm starting to think they work for the IRS.

Poor customer service

Deborah Rdy

A Calufornia scam company steals consumers money.

They have stolen my 4000 and has n pop t resolved my tax problems, and has hiven me mo record of what was done.

Loss:
Pros:
  • Misrepresented services
  • Convincing me into doing something for me and my taxes
Cons:
  • Rogues
  • Took our money and in almost 2 years
Not as described/ advertised

donald O Yne

Optima negotiated my taxes down by 9000 dollars

I cashed out 64000 in order to pay my house off. The following year my tax software said I owed 29,030 in Federal taxes!

I contacted Optima Tax Relief to help get my taxes negotiated down to a reasonable level.

It took 2 months exactly, but they were able to negotiate my taxes to a more reasonable 19875.00 so I'm a satisfied customer. The total service was 2700, which is a lot, but I don't have any house payments yo worry about ...

t

Pros:
  • Convincing me into doing something for me and my taxes
Reason of review:
Got my tax issue resolved
Arelis Foj
map-marker Santa Ana, California

Poor experience with Optima Tax Relief

Optima does not do much that the average person cannot do for themselves with the IRS. They took over $5000 from me and did essentially nothing.

They didn't even set up my payment plan. I did that myself. Anyone can. In the end I wasted $5495.

Be very careful dealing with Optima Tax Relief.

I would contact a tax attorney or an accountant before I contacted them. The only thing they have going for them is they know the tax laws and what an individual needs to do. However, they charge a whole lot for that service. I'm sure many (if not most) people can do everything on their own with cheaper advice from a trusted tax pro.

I believe they are borderline unethical because they do not give you any other options, based on your financial status.

Once they see who you are they should advise you elsewhere if needed, rather than take your $$$. In my case it was a total rip-off. Good money after bad.

As I said, be very cautious about dealing with them, and check with a tax pro first. Don't make my mistake.

Loss:
Cons:
  • Misrepresented services
Not as described/ advertised

Myriam S Jye
map-marker Santa Ana, California

Optima took our money and did not perform in a timely manner.

We started working with Optima Tax Relief in Santa Ana, Ca. in June 2016.

we paid them $5,000.00 to settle our tax debt with the IRS, and get us a payment plan we could afford. At first it was going well, we got reports as to what they were doing. Then they wanted to redo our 2014 and 2015 taxes, which had already been accepted by the IRS. In the end it cost us more money owed to IRS.

As time went on, it seemed as though it was taking a long time to get anything done, we were now a year and nine months into the program, and no solution. When we got a final letter from IRS saying we had 10 days to call them and settled the case, I called them myself, was on the phone for 45 minutes, and got a payment plan. It was a higher payment than we wanted, but I got it done. So I asked Optima for a refund, since I did the work.

First they offered $500.00, which we refused, then $900.00, which we also refused.

Then they finally offered us a refund of $1,500.00, which we accepted. So our issue has been resolved, case closed, and we are ok with it.

Pros:
  • Ads on tv and radio
We got a fair refund
Amelia A Upr

Verified Reviewer

Got to speak to a person

I've been trying to get some answers but couldn't get a call back. The lady I spoke with looked everything up & answered my question.

Good customer service
Joziah Quh

EXCELLENT SERVICE!!!!

I just completed a 5 year relationship with Optima Tax Relief, and settled my claim with IRS for pennies on the dollar. During the process, Optima kept me totally informed as to the steps and showed professionalism, while still remaining friendly and easy to work with.

I would recommend Optima Tax Relief to anyone with IRS problems. They were Excellent!!!!! I have often heard Optima Tax Relief's advertisements on the radio and TV in the past, but now when we here them, it becomes a celebration of the the settlement with IRS that Optima Tax Relief made possible.

Please, if you are having problems with the IRS, call Optima Tax as soon as possible. You'll sleep and rest better than you ever thought possible.

Good customer service